Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Vogue Italia: Summerton's Dud Spread

We've always believed that fashion is an art form, not just a commodity. However, like in every other art form, there are going to be things you disagree with.

Perhaps because I'm currently studying gender representations in the media, this Vogue Italia spread by Emma Summerton, titled "The Blackallure," rubbed me the wrong way.

I actually really like the premise behind this shoot: using an all-black cast of models (both well known and not), and having an international vibe, to hit two spots in the fashion industry that don't really get the attention they deserve. However, in being forward in these aspects, I felt that Summerton/Vogue encouraged rather than denied another stereotype: objectification of women.

Images via Fashion Gone Rogue
What is forward about women lounging around in bars and on stages as if waiting to be told what to do, their eyes distant and empty, as if they want to be somewhere else? Why are they merely on show instead of interacting with us? The "allure" here caters to an outdated cliche instead of suggesting anything empowered or strong about women.

I understand that Summerton wanted to showcase that almost feline, very seductive and languorous beauty of the designers' new lines. However, in my opinion, this spread could have been shot differently, with much more impact, and it still would have been alluring.

What do you think?

3 comments:

mosaicology said...

I enjoyed reading your point of view. You have a point!

The Odd and Chic said...

It's beautiful, but is it just me - it's sooo dark! I find it difficult to see the details.

http://www.oddandchic.com

xxx

Corinne Monique said...

The photos are gorgeous, but I agree - they could have been shot in a way that the models were both alluring and empowering, showing strong, beautiful women.

So glad you were chosen for this week's I ♥ Links :)

Corinne xo
http://corinnemonique.blogspot.com